What do we do when we sin?
If we break one of the 10 commandments, what do we do?
Repentance: We must repent.
Webster’s 1828 Dictionary Definition: 3. Real penitence; sorrow or deep contrition for sin, as an offense and dishonor to God, a violation of his holy law, and the basest ingratitude towards a Being of infinite benevolence. This is called evangelical repentance, and is accompanied and followed by amendment of life.
Repentance is a change of mind, or a conversion from sin to God.
Repentance involves turning from sin to God.
Numbers 21:4-9. The Fiery Serpents. Read these verses.
1. The Israelites were punished because they ________ against _________ and __________.
2. When they started to die from the poison bites, they knew the solution was to ask Moses to ______________________________________________.
3. When Moses held up the serpent everyone who _____________ at it was able to ______________.
The Fiery Serpent was a type and foreshadow of Jesus Christ.
Read John 3:14-15
1. Just like the fiery serpent, Christ was going to be ___________________________________________________________.
We must look to Christ to escape the poison of sin.
Read Ezekiel 33:10-11
10Therefore, O thou son of man, speak unto the house of Israel; Thus ye speak, saying, If our transgressions and our sins be upon us, and we pine away in them, how should we then live?
11Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
1. We have to __________ from our sins.
Read 2 Corinthians 7:9-10
1. We should feel __________ about our sins.
Read 1 John 1:8-9
1. If we say we have no sin, then we ______________ ourselves.
2. We need to ___________ our sins and God is __________ to forgive them.
2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
If I keep asking God for forgiveness for the same sin, how hard am I trying to change my life?
A) I’m really trying
B) I’m trying a little
C) I’m barely trying